Fuel Leak

Forum rules
Please can you post items for sale or wanted in the correct For Sale section. Items / bikes for sale here will be removed without warning. Reasons for this are in the FAQ. Thanks
heavybelly
Settled in member
Reactions:
Fuel Leak

Post by heavybelly » Sat May 17, 2008 10:37 pm

So, I bought my first bike today, a black VFR400 1989.all seemed great. However when running up in my drive this afternoon I noticed fuel dripping out on the left hand side. Seemed to be coming from the carbs if anything, couldn't quite see. It was cold, choke was 'on' and the fuel tap was on also. The previous owner said he turned the fuel tap off when warming the bike up to stop flooding?

Do the carbs have an overflow pipe? If so could it just be something to do with the choke and fuel tap combination that is causing it to overflow? I will try again tomorrow with the tap off and see if it makes any difference, in the mean time any thoughts????

wullvfr
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: zx9r c1
Re: Fuel Leak

Post by wullvfr » Sat May 17, 2008 10:48 pm

i would have a right good look and see exactly where the fuel is coming from.......
im not entirely sure if there is an overflow pipe....it could be the float height is way off!!!!
you shouldnt need to turn the fuel tap off when warming the bike up as it relies on drawing more fuel in so it can idle properly.....hence why you use the choke!!!!
please,god,....give me the chance to prove that winning the lottery won't spoil me!!!

fastdruid
Reactions:
Re: Fuel Leak

Post by fastdruid » Sun May 18, 2008 12:44 am

Yes there is an overflow on the carbs, it pisses petrol into the middle of the (down the front wall of the rear pots to be more accurate).

It could be a stuck float, worn out needle valve or just a bit of grit in the valve.

Normally I'd suggest draining the carbs (via the drain screws on the bottom), tapping them with a screw driver or similar then turning the petrol back on and restart it. If that doesn't work then its a carb strip.

*BUT* with the age of an NC30 these days I've had bad experiences with the drain screws rusting on older bikes and never sealing again once removed. Not sure about the NC30 but you can't buy drain screws for some bikes.

Druid