Proof of year of manufacture

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
Onecanvandamme
One Hit Wonder
Reactions:
Proof of year of manufacture

Post by Onecanvandamme » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:12 pm

Hi,
I have 2 NC23s I want to import into France. I want to register them under the FFVE (collector’s) process. This means the bikes need to be at leats 30 years old. The UK plates are “E” and “F” so ‘88 and ‘89 which I have reason to believe reflects their actual age, however the V5Cs state date of first registration as ‘96 and ‘97. Clearly if I use the date of first reg as their age then they are not yet eligible for FFVE registration.
Question:
Do you know of a way I can prove their date of manufacture and maybe get a certificate or the like from Honda?

MadMotoUK
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: FZR400,600,1000 CBR893
Re: Proof of year of manufacture

Post by MadMotoUK » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:47 pm

If you email Honda with the frame numbers they should provide you with year of manufacture, however as they are JDM imports that's about all they will be able to tell you.

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms

Post by NGneer » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:45 pm

If you have a UK V5 document for the bike it will show on the front page (under Special Notes) that the bike was registered abroad and "Declared manufactured in (eg) 1991"
This is your proof of how old the bike is.
The date of first registration (on the second page) refers only to when it was first registered in the UK

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: 92 NC30 & 94 CBR900RRR

Post by Kenthammer » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 pm

Unfortunately that doesn’t always tell the full story.
Mine was a late 92 build, never out of the crate until 99 once imported into the UK, so V5C shows correctly both first reg date and date of first reg in UK as Sep 99, and that is was declared new at first reg, what they then do have wrong is that it was manufactured in 99, the importer made the mistake on the original declaration and stated year of manufacture was 99, and that’s as simple as that, DVLA site says manufactured 99, not only that, but they screwed up the first owners details and registered it to themselves by mistake, the owner appears to have flipped as they then become the second owner rather than first. The trail of documents between the importer and owner and DVLA shows that they put hands up and wrote to the DVLA admitting their mistake, but the DVLA wouldn’t budge and change it back to one owner.

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Kenthammer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:23 am

Oops duplicate post
Last edited by Kenthammer on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadMotoUK
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am

Kenthammer wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 pm
Unfortunately that doesn’t always tell the full story.
Mine was a late 92 build, never out of the crate until 99 once imported into the UK, so V5C shows correctly both first reg date and date of first reg in UK as Sep 99, and that is was declared new at first reg, what they then do have wrong is that it was manufactured in 99, the importer made the mistake on the original declaration and stated year of manufacture was 99, and that’s as simple as that, DVLA site says manufactured 99, not only that, but they screwed up the first owners details and registered it to themselves by mistake, the owner appears to have flipped as they then become the second owner rather than first. The trail of documents between the importer and owner and DVLA shows that they put hands up and wrote to the DVLA admitting their mistake, but the DVLA wouldn’t budge and change it back to one owner.
You can get proof from Honda using the frame number, the DVLA can't ignore the manufacturer's evidence of year of manufacture.

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Kenthammer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:29 am

Ahh interesting, I approached Honda UK over a previous grey import and they refused to help, also they refused to help with emissions on a mid 90s bike to get an exemption for the ULEZ in London, very helpfully suggesting I paid to get a emissions report.

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Kenthammer » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:17 pm

MadMotoUK wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am

You can get proof from Honda using the frame number, the DVLA can't ignore the manufacturer's evidence of year of manufacture.

Thanks, tried again. As I’ve had insurance issues in the past, regarding the age and classic policies.

This time the woman was very helpful, took all the details and I await a call from their compliance department to verify if the details are confirmed by Japan, and at that point Honda will relieve me of £30, send me the document which will confirm VIN/engine numbers, model and day, month and year of manufacture, quotes 4-6 weeks timescale

MadMotoUK
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by MadMotoUK » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:01 pm

Kenthammer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:29 am
Ahh interesting, I approached Honda UK over a previous grey import and they refused to help, also they refused to help with emissions on a mid 90s bike to get an exemption for the ULEZ in London, very helpfully suggesting I paid to get a emissions report.
Kenthammer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:17 pm
Thanks, tried again. As I’ve had insurance issues in the past, regarding the age and classic policies.

This time the woman was very helpful, took all the details and I await a call from their compliance department to verify if the details are confirmed by Japan, and at that point Honda will relieve me of £30, send me the document which will confirm VIN/engine numbers, model and day, month and year of manufacture, quotes 4-6 weeks timescale
That's cheeky, Yamaha did this for me free of charge. Admittedly I've had to get the Japanese declaration translated though :lol:

Kenthammer
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Kenthammer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:05 pm

If ever there’s a company that knows how to milk it’s loyal customers dry it’s Honda UK, showed their true colours over the Blade ABS fiasco, and from that point on after 35 years of buying new Hondas, vowed never again to buy a new one.