Bike use and government 'policy' (haha).

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
Foxy400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 CBR900FireBlade XS400
Bike use and government 'policy' (haha).

Post by Foxy400 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:03 am

I was curious about how the government viewed the use of bikes and other powered 2-wheeled vehicles in crowded cities, especially London. Did they agree (with me) that it should be actively encouraged, as it is in many other European cities?

So I wrote to Sadiq Khan (Lord Mayor of London. Seems like a nice chap). I pointed out that around 150,000 bike owners live or travel in London, with around 55,000 using their bikes every day. Common sense must tell you this reduces congestion and pollution.

I asked what measures were being taken to reduce the soaring level of bike theft, such as installing more secure bike parking with CCTV. We've all seen the Youtube vids and heard about motorcycle-enabled crime (moped acid attacks for example).
What was their policy regarding universal use of bus lanes? Were bikers going to be hit with emissions charges?

I also mentioned the £1 billion support allocated to encouraging bicycle use in London and asked what was the motorcycle budget (you can already guess the answer to that one!)?

My email was redirected to Transport for London (TfL). They began by pointing out that bikes make up 2% of traffic but account for 26% of casualties, which straight away hints at their priorites (ie.get bloody bikes off the road and our statistics will look so much better..or maybe I'm being too cynical..nah, I'm not). They admitted their 'focus' was on reducing casualties. Very commendable of course but that wasn't really what I was asking.
They agreed that use of bus lanes was a good idea but the decision was in the hands of each borough (ie. no overall strategy). At the moment only 12 boroughs allow it.
As far as bike security is concerned it seems it's down to us. TfL is 'working with manufacturers', whatever that means, to improve security.
There is, of course, no specific budget to encourage the use of bikes in cities. However they are funding and supporting the police in their efforts to reduce crime (should bloody well hope so!).

So there you go. The government doesn't really give a shit about bikes and wishes they'd go away. But I think we knew that anyway.

For anyone that's interested there's a very good rant about this on Youtube. It's by Anthony 'Dutch' van Someren (founder of The Bike Shed..if you've never been to their custom bike show in London it's worth a trip) and called "London Motorcycle Crime: Rant and call to arms".

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Re: Bike use and government 'policy' (haha).

Post by Dynamohum » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 pm

The figures 2% of traffic and 26% of casulties wonder how that compares to cyclists or does it seem better to omit those figures so as to not upset the eco green crusaders?
Ive been in many european cities where a high use of two wheelers scoots bikes cycles are used and they dont suffer the same gridlock with cars as any uk cities at peak times but then again most european car drivers have at some point been on two wheels so have a bit more awareness for bikes unlike here.
Barcelona i was told has the highest percentege of 2 wheelers in western europe it does seem manic but it keeps moving and everyone goes about their business .

Evilchicken0
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Bimota SB6 Yamaha FZR 3TJ x2

Post by Evilchicken0 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Tfl isn't the government.
Motorbike casualties are higher than bicycles

Foxy400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 CBR900FireBlade XS400

Post by Foxy400 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:27 am

You are right of course, TfL isn't the government. I contacted the Dept.of Transport and Chris Grayling (MP) Secretary of State for Transport as well as Sadiq Khan, at around the same time (obviously I have nothing better to do on a wet Sunday :grin: ). I lumped them all together as 'the government'. So far only TfL have got round to replying.

Neosophist
Moderators
Moderators
Reactions:
Bike owned: ZXR400 / VFR400

Post by Neosophist » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 pm

Ill look into the road deaths over here but i suspect motorcycles make up a greater amount than cars due in part to motorcycles offering less protection.

Barcelona and espeically Asian countries often have nicer weather too, London is a bit cold and damp a lot of the time so it doesnt really seem like a viable option for there, id instead focus on better public transport.

the amount of bike theft is also another big deterrant and a sign of how shit the place has become but i dont think its the only factor.
xivlia wrote:i dont go fast on this bike so really do not need a rear brake.. /
vic-vtrvfr wrote:Ask xivlia for help, he's tackled just about every problem u could think of...

Return to “General Discussion”