Empty forum

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
Davez29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 forever
Re: Empty forum

Post by Davez29 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:44 am

I have always tried to be part of the forum but like many it's down to my bike is sorted and I don't have a great know how for answering everything in the cbr forum, although I will help if I can.

I'm an old school forum man and never used this social media stuff. It is getting quieter around here year by year.

BTW I use tinypics to post images. So far it has not gone the way of that other place.

royster81
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: VFR400R-L NC30 CBR400RR-R NC29

Post by royster81 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 am

CRM wrote:.

No idea who setup the 400greybike group, it may have been rory either way i wasn't consulted or asked about it - which kinda says it all to me really..
Not me, not guilty. :rocks:

I've been a member on here from around 2004/2005 and I'll keep coming back as long as there is a 400GreyBike to come back to, the site has giving me so much knowledge and I've made so many good friendships out of it I almost owe it to the site.

I think the true 400 fans have stuck by the site, and still do and they are the people that need approached for information when there's a problem with your bike. Facebook groups, in my opinion, are just full of one hit wonders wanting to show off their new purchase before they get bored of it and buy a 600, know all's that want too feel special peddling poor information to the one hit wonders they half remember from reading on a forum and Del Boys selling over priced shite to the one hit wonders
It's not having what you want but wanting what you've got....Loud ,Proud and Modified ....

manicguitarist
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 (NC35)

Post by manicguitarist » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 am

royster81 wrote:....information when there's a problem with your bike. Facebook groups, in my opinion, are just full of one hit wonders wanting to show off their new purchase before they get bored of it and buy a 600, know all's that want too feel special peddling poor information to the one hit wonders they half remember from reading on a forum and Del Boys selling over priced shite to the one hit wonders
True Story.
I've given up answering tech questions on the FB page - there is so much inaccurate stuff fed out that the correct answer gets lost. Unlike here where if you ask a question, only someone who knows the answer will reply.

CB1pod70
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:

Post by CB1pod70 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:36 pm

The same has happened to the CB-1 forum and almost everyone posts on facebook now and every week the same how to questions get asked. I just point people to the forum in the hope that they will then stick around on the forum.
Like many others, I gave up on my build thread after the Photobucket fiasco but am about to start another CB-1 so promise to start a new build thread using Flickr as the photo hosting

decngb
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by decngb » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:55 pm

SevenThreeSeven wrote: That's an awesome garage of Honda's for a guy in the U.S., you're making me feel jealousy. That's a rare pair you have. I've got two 5th Gen VFR800s, but it's not the same.
Thanks - I'm really enjoying working on these bikes! Of course I also have a 5th gen VFR800. I'll still ride the VFR800 when I head out cross-country, although that doesn't happen too often.

bikemonkey
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30, VFR750, 81 CB750F

Post by bikemonkey » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:27 pm

I have noticed the decline in the traffic on here, myself using it less also.

Personally I have excuses ranging from ligament damage in my shoulder (bloody mtb) keeping me off tools and bikes, and a recent distraction of my attention to a very tatty RC36!

I think the "one stop shop" that Facebook has become has made it all too easy to solely use it for all your interests.

As (I think) one of the younger members on here, and someone who is part of numerous groups on FB concerning different hobbies/bikes/interests, that it is all too easy to find a place to ask your question on FB. Whether you get a good answer is another thing, as stated before in this thread. (I remember telling someone they were wrong to advise re-mapping and de-catting as a way for an NC30 to gain more power.....)

The younger generation it seems is using Google less and less to find answers and simply posting on their social media to find what they need. The amount of times I've seen "who knows a good plumber" "recommendations for MOT stations" etc is frustrating. Not mentioning the amount of posts that are of insignificant things. When people have been to the gym seems a favourite at the moment.

My other half relies nearly entirely on FB for advertising, reputation and often communication with the parents of the children she teaches dance. Mainly because it's become the biggest and easiest platform to use.

And that's where I think forum's are missing out, accessibility and usability.

Then again, that could also be keeping out the numpties :?

craigs23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: Quite a few

Post by craigs23 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:02 am

I have a look around every now and then, still find the forum very handy, and I like looking at all the pretty projects going on.

But, 'back in my day' / what felt like the heyday for the grey import, it seemed that 400s were a good first big bike - was for me anyway, where a 400 was a perfect fit once I passed my test. I got hooked very soon after that, but I wonder whether the same is true of the current / recent generations of riders. It was about 10 years or so ago when I recall debates about why opt for a 400 when you could get a 600 for less money (their opinion, certainly not mine).

400s seem to get pretty rare and quite niche (which is an added bonus for me as I like a rare bike), but I assume it means that many have unfortunately perished over the years, or have already been restored (do you think 400greybike still serves as the largest culmination of 400 projects?), so perhaps this accounts somewhat for the lack of traffic to the forum too?

Foxy400
Settled in member
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400 CBR900FireBlade XS400

Post by Foxy400 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:56 am

Well it's good to see a fair number of responses, so it's not all gloom&doom! As our bikes age and some inevitably 'perish' (to quote craigs23) or are consigned to museums and private collections as 'investments', there will be fewer owners with an active interest but it looks like that's not happening yet. And I'm glad to see Farcebook hasn't taken over the world (even though it has it's uses for some people)!
Now I'm off to Hammer&Tongs in Warrington to pick up my newly refurbed fork legs (£120..not bad) and stick 'em back on the bike in case we get a sunny winter day and I can test 'em out.

CRM
Admin NWAA
Admin NWAA
Reactions:

Post by CRM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:01 am

bikemonkey wrote: And that's where I think forum's are missing out, accessibility and usability.

Then again, that could also be keeping out the numpties :?
Exactly !!!
on both counts lol

Seriously there are no plans to turn this place off, i will try and clean things up, consolidate a bit and re-skin
in doing that expect some down time probably without much warning as it will be when i get time and chance, it will likely be over xmas. i will try and put up a holding page while its down though.
Just a shame i am shit with php coding really.
Insert Signature Here

NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x2 1991 NC30, x1 Matchless G80

Post by NGneer » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:27 pm

CRM wrote:[
Seriously there are no plans to turn this place off, i will try and clean things up, consolidate a bit and re-skin
in doing that expect some down time probably without much warning as it will be when i get time and chance,.
Paul...it the sudden lack of the "Projects" area down to you :?

Return to “General Discussion”