The unthinkable may yet come to pass

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
NGneer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: x3 NC30,Matchless G80s AJS16ms
Re: The unthinkable may yet come to pass

Post by NGneer » Wed May 15, 2019 12:53 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:54 am

So, what to do? Who knows?

My NC30 is a part of my life, or was a part of my life and it may be that as the pages turn and the seasons change, that it is the time to end and give it up - all of it.
Mark :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

You only get that smilie as there isn't a "slap" one (but only cause I care and am your mate ;) ).

No9 is part of the Family and even if it is only once or twice a year for a buzz around Cadwell it has to be worth keeping.
Furthermore, Stanley is going to Need something to learn to spanner on, so why not use No9 as a Project for the two of you either now or mothball it and do it in a few years. You never know Stanley might even end up taking around Cadwell himself in a few years
bighug

sa.racing
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 Race

Post by sa.racing » Wed May 15, 2019 5:24 pm

I found myself in your situation a couple of years back, I had absolutely no desire to ride on the road anymore and after giving up racing back in 2010 didn't swing a leg over a bike for number of years, then a few years ago I just got the itch totally out of the blue just really wanted to get back on a bike, so money being tight I had an old NC23 in the shed that was used as a spare/wet race bike (as I'm a hoarder :whistle: ) I literally bolted on some lights gaffer taped it together as I didn't care what it looked like I just wanted to get back on a bike again,

I was a total nervous wreck at first, I hated riding on the road and was paranoid every car was going to pull out on me or every car was trying to kill me, so I decided to do some research into Bike safe and advanced riding and what can I say it totally changed my perception of riding on the road! I have fallen back in love with riding again,

I'm not saying that's the solution to your problem just that it is possible to go from not wanting to ride on the road at all to wanting to use the bike at every opportunity again like when you first passed your test!

as for selling the bike I know exactly how you feel, I've still got my NC29 race bike sitting in the shed full F400 spec capable of running lap record times (not with me on it mind you) not a standard part on it apart from the frame dripping in custom hand built one off parts you'll never find on another NC29 in the world and its sitting in my shed having not turned a wheel in over 10 years! my friends all tell me to sell it, my wife is constantly telling me to sell it, its by far the best and most expensive bike I own and have ever owned! it deserves to be living its life out there on a race track and I know I should sell it but I just don't want to! plain and simple

to answer your question you'll know whether or not to sell the bike because you'll want to sell it! plain and simple when the time comes you'll know
Si

micpec
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC35’s, NC30 sold, MC34 many

Post by micpec » Wed May 15, 2019 8:58 pm

Been there too, with ups and downs over the last 6 to 7 years. I enjoy the spannering on my rvf, and before I knew I went a bit mental last year and I decided again to keep her since I took her back in my garage and unleashed the mothballs so to say after long storage, I fell in love again, and I took her out for a spin on the roads after a remake with a complete new kit dress on. Great fun that I missed!

My other rvf....that was just for fun. I miss the fun on that bike so it is parked as I left her some years ago. I ride for fun on a very light weight bike ftr 223, only short rides for 30 kms or so in the weekends, I keep riding on the roads. Now I trade from time tot time bikes, it is also fun related. It is nice and keeps me going. Not the standard common bikes but more as in not able to find here.

Another thing...my little girl is recently asking me about daddy’s bikes, she is interested and is asking a lot of questions while I am busy in the garage. She shows up with her bicycle as her bike! :)

My thought, Keep at least one in your garage if you are uncertain, decide later. Do not rush any decision. Take some time off and relativate. Maybe get a simple bike for fun, and see it that will bring back the joy in riding on the roads? Enjoy now. If not, sell it all. Don’t look back with any regret later. Good luck.
"Action without Philosophy is a lethal weapon; Philosophy without action is worthless"

CMSMJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC30-No9, NC27

Post by CMSMJ1 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:56 am

Aye, you're all right, of course.

I don't think that I will sell No9 - I cannot imagine that and so suspect it is off the cards :) I would love my son to get to ride the old moto and perhaps that might be possible in the future.

Some of my stress is all about the lack of workshop - I have nowhere to work on my bikes - I have a container in a yard for storage only. WHen I get the cash together to sort a hosue move then the primary focus for me is a large workshop, or the space to build/extend. If I had the bikes in my sight I could imagine that the working on them would bring out the desire to ride.

Think that this thread has been slightly hijacked but it is all valid thinking - we put our hearts into these bikes - they are more than a consumable.

I'll get my shit together.... :)
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

The V4 is the law..

NC30 - No9 > My old mate
2005 ZX10 C1H - smashed it to death @Jerez :(
NC30 - Trackbike...again :)

Travis
Settled in member
Reactions:

Post by Travis » Thu May 16, 2019 1:18 pm

I am on my 8th or 9th 400cc V4, over the years I sell them after I get tired of aching wrists and irritating services and expensive plugs, inevitably I just get another one after the fact though, its like a cycle i cant seem to break. I now have a Nc35 and a NC30, I have realized I will just keep them, this is easier than starting over in a years time when the bug bites again. Also, this is one of the older bikes that is quickly gaining value, in ten years who knows what a good one trades for... hang onto it if you dont need the money..

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Fri May 17, 2019 12:12 am

Been in this situation a few times but even if annual use comes down to just a few hundred miles the fact is it's paid for fully sorted and owes you nothing cheap to run and insure. and is there if the notion takes you to get away from the house for a bit of me time .
I still have several nc30s and a rvf they get become addictive to own ride and work on and the pleasure they still give for 20+ year old bikes is astounding .
I also have an mt10 which apart from it's appetite for fuel tyres and will probably get me arrested 👹 if i'm not careful will go before the 400s.

Dynamohum
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:

Post by Dynamohum » Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 am

Been in this situation a few times but even if annual use comes down to just a few hundred miles the fact is it's paid for fully sorted and owes you nothing cheap to run and insure. and is there if the notion takes you to get away from the house for a bit of me time .
I still have several nc30s and a rvf they get become addictive to own ride and work on and the pleasure they still give for 20+ year old bikes is astounding .
I also have an mt10 which apart from it's appetite for fuel tyres and will probably get me arrested 👹 if i'm not careful but it will go before the 400s.
Keep it you'll regret selling later on they are honda build Quality at it's finest 😁

Speedy
NWAA Supporter
NWAA Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: RVF400RR, ER6n

Post by Speedy » Fri May 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Thanks everyone, for sharing your views & experiences on this. 8-)

I usually buy my bikes with my heart and this one was very much the case! Bought it in 2003 on ebay, without even seeing it! :whistle:
I've decided that for now I'll keep it though; the insurance for both my bikes auto-renewed, it's taxed and MOT'd and cost sod all; so I might as well try to use it over the coming Summer and put some miles on the brand new BT090 tyres.
Next year I'll rethink this decision and I may well let it go then...

:rocks:
When the mind is relaxed, the body will go faster!

cbr400rrn
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reactions:
Bike owned: NC29 CBR600F SP2

Post by cbr400rrn » Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 pm

CMSMJ1 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:56 am
Aye, you're all right, of course.

I don't think that I will sell No9 - I cannot imagine that and so suspect it is off the cards :) I would love my son to get to ride the old moto and perhaps that might be possible in the future.

Some of my stress is all about the lack of workshop - I have nowhere to work on my bikes - I have a container in a yard for storage only. WHen I get the cash together to sort a hosue move then the primary focus for me is a large workshop, or the space to build/extend. If I had the bikes in my sight I could imagine that the working on them would bring out the desire to ride.

Think that this thread has been slightly hijacked but it is all valid thinking - we put our hearts into these bikes - they are more than a consumable.

I'll get my shit together.... :)
That's better :lol:

moforockband
Familiar Member
Reactions:
Bike owned: GK73a SP CRM250 mk3

Post by moforockband » Wed May 22, 2019 10:11 am

If you have even 1% in you that may regret selling it then don't. I sold up all my Aprilla RS250 stuff including 3 bikes after I'd lost the racing bug. The interest and people trying to profiteer out of the situation was outstanding and depressing. I'm never going back there.
But I am loving the GSXR400 with open pipes and pod filters on the road. The sound of 15000rpm through the trees on a summers country road is something I'll never tire of.

Return to “General Discussion”