Site HomeAbout 400GreyBikeBuyers GuidesDocument LibraryIt is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 am

Solar panel chargers

A place to bang on about subjects close to your heart that affect us all as 400cc riders. general banter is rife, however rudeness and abuse seem to be the norm, If a bit wet round the ears best go play elsewhere. Auto pruning of items 31 days and older
  • Author

reverse cylinder jim

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

Solar panel chargers

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Anybody bought or used one of these types of chargers. If so any recommendations?
I'm thinking either the vehicle charger type to top up my van whilst away in it or the small ones that charge phones etc.
Cheers

kit352

Settled in member

• Bike owned: gk71f

Re: Solar panel chargers

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 7:17 pm

I use one for my phones and such while on trips and my wife has a slightly larger one for her tablets. They both work amazingly well.
The vehicle ones usually arent chargers, more like float maintainers. You really need a lot of amps to charge a battery so the usually means a bigger panel.

davlr

Settled in member

• Bike owned: NC30 35 23 APRILIA RS!

PostSun Jun 18, 2017 10:15 pm

I got one for the girlfriends fiesta. it's about the size of a a4 piece of paper, about a centimetre thick and came from aldi. Stick it on the dash in the sun and trickle charge the battery through the lighter socket or directly to a battery. I was happy enough with it and if you're up to it you can mess around with usb charging and other stuff. €20 is what I paid so probably £15 on your side of the water.

Davez29

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

• Bike owned: NC29 forever

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 4:59 am

For your phone look at RAVpower 16w, also other popular makes such as Anker or Aukey, they all make models around the £40 mark or less. These are best used inconjunction with a decent powerbank (charge the powerbank) so you dont have to leave your phone wired in but can recharge at a more conveiniant time.

The 12v style for solar trickle charging car batteries you see advertised should be used with a solar panel regulator, these are a few pounds, this allows you to set the voltage so your not dumping more voltage than needed, especially for our low powered bike batteries.

reverse cylinder jim

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Superb
Thank you everyone.

Return to General Discussion